Thursday, October 2, 2014

My Journey to Coe

I will be the first to admit I was not the greatest at the whole "choose a college" thing in high school. I wasn't super thrilled about the idea of leaving home where my laundry was always done for me, I always had food available and classes were pretty easy.

I knew I wanted a smaller-sized college and wanted to stay somewhat close to home (I have to be able to see my dog at least four times a semester), but that is honestly all I knew. I didn't know what I wanted to major in, if I wanted to continue my career as a soccer player, or if I wanted to live in a big city or small town. I had convinced myself I would be happy no matter where I ended up and therefore did an absolutely terrible job looking at colleges. When I went on college visits I paid attention to two things and two things only: the food in the cafeteria and the quality of the showers in the bathrooms.

However, all that changed the moment I stepped onto Coe's campus. All of the sudden I was excited about college and all the experiences that would come my way. I felt so comfortable with everyone I met and was thrilled about the ideas my admissions counselor had for my future. Coe's food and showers easily passed my tests, quickly making Coe one of my top choices going into the second semester of my senior year of high school.

Beginning to feel panicky about not yet knowing where I was going to college, I came back to Coe for Scholarship Weekend in February. Within seconds, I texted my mom and had her cancel any other college visits I had scheduled. Everyone I had met on my first visit to Coe remembered my name, what I wanted to major in, who my parents were and even that my dog was the cutest thing on the planet. I knew right away that I was wanted at Coe for who I was, not for any test scores or high school GPA. Coe wanted my personality and desire to learn, they wanted me to come to Coe to better myself. I knew I was not going to simply be a number here; I was going to be cared for, cared about and, most importantly, pushed to become better.

Turns out, my high school self was pretty smart and everything I thought about Coe that weekend was completely true. I am not a number here at Coe; my professors, coaches, and peers truly care about my successes and my happiness.

Although I may not have done everything right in my college search process, I definitely made the right decision.


But really… How cute is she? 

See you all next week for another update on the life of a Kohawk! 
XOXO,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment